Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Reading the New 52: Issue #1: Batwing


by Judd Winick and Ben Oliver

Cover: Guy in silver bat armour... above the pyramids? Hey!That's right, Batwing is the African branch of the Bat family. I hope this is done well.

Story: "I told Batman that a man dressed as a bat will not instill fear in the average criminal in Africa. They have seen too much." This book seems to be set in a close analogue of a real-world, war-torn part of Africa. That's got a lot of scope for stories. I'm no expert in recent African history. I am just a person who has seen the documentary War Dance a couple of times. There's a powerful and largely untapped well of material here, and if it's done right... oh, I am excited about this book! Excited and a bit apprehensive.

So, Batwing fights warlords and drug runners by night as a vigilante. By day he`s a police officer in the made-up city of Tinasha.


The art in Batwing is in a style that`s somewhere between photorealistic and watercolour. I`m not sure yet how I feel about it.

Superheroes are getting murdered in Tinasha and David Zavimbe is on the case, in both of his personas! And then... holy shit! Cliffhanger ending! I am spoiling everything (hey, this has been out for a year, the statute of limitations is surely up) so I will say that David gets stabbed through the heart on the last page. Or that's how it looks.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he makes it.

I want to know what happens next!

Drop or Keep: Keep keep keep. I hope this lives up to its potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment